As a young Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen fan, Winning London inspired me to want to participate in Model UN. And lets face it– the travel, kidnapping crises, cute British boys, and cut throat debate didn’t hurt either.
While a lot has changed since the movie Winning London debuted in 2001 (including Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen) many Model UN lessons from this classic movie still apply to Model UN today.
1. When someone cancels at the last minute and a surprise student steps in…primarily because of the travel destination:
2. When the new student tries to convince you they are ready for a Model UN conference:
3. When you show up at a conference and find out that they accidentally gave two schools the same country:
4. When you need a few more votes to pass your resolution:
5. What every Model UN Delegate is actually thinking:
6. Okay, maybe not every delegate:
7. Every delegates favorite moment in committee:
8.Along with “Education is the solution” this phrase wins the award for most frequently stated phrase:
9. When someone asks you for the name of your UN Ambassador:
10. Sometimes at the end of the day negotiations fail:
But really… If your Model UN Team has not watched Winning London yet, you really should. And if you want to experience Model UN in London this summer you should consider attending the MUN Institute in London.